Monday 6 February 2012

Czech-Mates

Beef Tartar Czech style
Freshly cut beef, pickles, onions, paprika and a quail egg yolk, seasoned, mixed together and slathered on deep fried bread rubbed with fresh garlic. Yum. Something so more-ish about this combination that had me craving it since I first had it in November. It reminds me of a cheeseburger only better - I am sure that is not the most appealing description but I like and crave cheeseburgers! Had a chance to satisfy my craving this weekend along with all the other hearty Czech dishes that are perfect in this frosty weather when visiting some friends who have moved there. Goulash, schnitzel, dumplings, pork and sauerkraut dishes. Food obviously fit for the sub-zero climate that we experienced. Throw in some authentic Vietnamese bun, foie gras, wine, homemade banana muffins, steamboat and a day of freezing and snowbaording on the picturesque Czech mountains makes for a perfect weekend getaway. I think I am also developing a taste for dark beer.

Děkuji T&D!

Deep fried cheese with tartare sauce

A kind of slow cooked pork belly with sauerkraut 

Traditional Goulash with bread dumplings

Pork Neck with potato gratin

Chicken Schnitzel with Pickled Cucumber and potato salad

Bun Mang with Grilled duck

SAPA (Vietnamese area) - Bun Ca - Vermicelli with deep fried carp slices and Cha Ca - Yum!


Pretty Czech mountains

1 comment: